Are you eating spinach? It’s one of my favourite foods and also extremely good for you. So here are 5 reasons it really is a super food!
1. It is an excellent source of vitamins and other nutrients including vitamins A, B2, B6, C, E, K, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, phosphorus and zinc (and that’s not all of them!).
2. It can keep your skin and hair healthy! Vitamin A is needed for health and repair of both hair and skin and also is used to produce sebum (this naturally moisturises your hair). Vitamin C is needed for collagen production which keeps your skin and hair fresh and healthy. Finally, iron deficiency is known to cause hair loss, so it is important to get enough!
3. Lack of Iron is one of the biggest causes of anaemia (low red blood cell levels) in the world, particularly in women. This can lead to feeling light headed and fatigue. A 30g serving of spinach can give you 5% of your recommended daily intake.
4. The magnesium in spinach is vital for energy metabolism, nerve and muscle function and maintaining the immune system
5. It is high in fibre which is vital for digestion and has the added benefits of keeping your blood sugar low and keeping you fuller for longer.
So if you aren’t eating spinach start adding it to your diet. It is a great and versatile food (you can eat it raw, steamed or cooked-I love having it with scrambled eggs). Don’t forget to share with your friends, so they know about the benefits of this great food!