I have experimented with the original recipe, as per usual :-) and I tried to make a healthier verison of slovakian christmas cookies. Try them, they really are very tasty. I love them and I believe you will like them too. Though there is added sugar, but unfortunately making cakes and sweets its very difficult without added sugar. It is not impossible, but if we want others to eat them, we have make sacrifices :-/ but the amount of sugar is totally up to your liking. From this recipe you get about 6 baking dishes, if you make thin slices.
- 400g spelt flour (I mixed 200g spelt flour with 200g wholegrain flour)
- 180g butter (i have tried to make them with avocado as well and it is pretty awesome, so you can try 180-200g ripe avocado)
- 2 x egg yolks
- lemon zest - lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 80g sugar (to your liking)
- Mix everything together, make sure you mix it well until you make a dough.
- Put the dough in the fridge for about an hour. Then take it out and let it settle for a while.
- Preheat the oven to 170'C
- Prepare baking dish with baking paper, cut the cookies into a form of your liking and put them on the baking dish.
- Bake them for about 4-5 minutes the smaller pieces and for about 7 minutes the bigger pieces.
- After you take them out, make sure you let them cool down on the baking dish, otherwise they will break.
- Put jam on top (I used homemade jam without added sugar) and add another cookie on top. Put them in a jar.